Monday, October 15, 2007

Paper analysis

I liked the 3rd draft of my paper for a few reasons. In my first, draft, I did not really have a grasp on some of the concepts. I was trying to understand the entire context of the advertisement as taught in the C.R.A.P. principles. This advertisement was not simple and each piece of the ad was like a puzzle, contributing to the entire message that the company was trying to portray. I also had a hard time with the flow of the paper and I had weak or non-existant transitions. My language was not very professional, owing to the fact that I was still trying to understand exactly what I was writing about. I had a very weak explanation of pathos and logos intertwined in the paper vocabulary, and I did not include many other terms that could have been used. Initially, I had a poorly worded conclusion, which was strengthened with each draft written. For the second draft, I worked on improving the flow and strengthening the transitions. I also improved the conclusion and my explanations of pathos and logos so that my paper sounded more professional. I reworded some of my sentences and removed others so that the paper's overall tone remained more consistant. The comments of my fellow students and professor helped me to determine the mistakes that I made in the first two drafts, which helped me to correct things that I did not notice before they read my paper. I still don't like my paper much, and I found gramatical errors that I need to correct before I turn it in for my portfolio, but overall I think that I was able to use the drafting process to renew and complete my understanding of some of the concepts taught in class. I also think that since I have not really written a paper for an English class for about ten years, the practice allowed me to return to where I left off in writing professional papers. Honestly, I never really liked the drafting process, nor did I ever really use it before this class, but I can see how it has its uses now, and I will be able to use it in other writing projects in the future.